Well, after struggling to disassemble the power brake booster since my last restoration update I came to a pretty simple conclusion – even if I do get the booster apart, how on earth will I ever get it back together?!?! As it turns out the two halves of the shell are put together very, very tightly. I tried to get the booster housing apart for about two hours before deciding I could live without checking the internals out, after all it seemed to hold a good vacuum when it came off the car.
So, with that decided, I continued with cleaning up the housing. After a lot of wire wheel brushing I managed to get nearly all the rust off the housing.
After about three coats of primer followed by sanding nearly all of the pitting had been filled resulting in a pretty smooth finish on the housing. I suppose I could have used Bondo for this instead of primer, but the primer seemed to work well and sanded much easier than the Bondo would have
I followed this up with another full coat of primer and several coats of gloss black. Overall the booster housing came out looking pretty good with a reasonably smooth finish.
After cleaning up the hardware I reassembled the booster following the instructions outlined in the 1971 chassis overhaul manual. To start the valve poppet was wetted with alcohol and inserted into the hub, small end first.
Next the poppet retainer was wetted with alcohol and inserted into the hub with the flanged side up. Be sure to press firmly against the poppet retainer to ensure the retainer is properly seated against the poppet.