CORVETTE RESTORATION UPDATES

JANUARY 8, 2006 - UNIVERSAL JOINT, FUEL LINE AND BRAKE LINE INSTALLATION

 

 

 

 

   

Ok, things are starting to move along now. As of the last update I had completed assembly of the front suspension and steering so now I'll move onto getting the rear suspension and driveline components installed. First on the list is installing the new universal joints in the half shafts.

The first step was to do a little clean up. Back when I painted the half shafts some of the POR-15 ran into the grooves for the retainer clips. In order to allow the snap rings to seat properly the excess paint needed to be removed. A few minutes spent with a Dremel tool and a cut-off disk did a nice job.

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Here's one of the new universal joints. In order to install them in the halfshaft flange it was necessary to remove two of the caps from the trunnion. Only after removing the caps could the trunnion be centered in the flange.

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Once positioned in the flange I was able to center the first bearing cap on the trunnion and press it into the flange. In order to install the second cap a socket was used to press the first cap into the flange as far as possible (about 1/4" deeper than necessary). Next I centered the second cap on the trunnion, pressed it into place and centered the universal joint in the flange. Lastly, I installed the snap rings on each side of the joint.

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Here are the completed halfshafts ready for installation. I'll have to put that on hold though. I'm still waiting for that dial gauge I ordered last week. Until that comes in I can't finish and install the trailing arms (which needs to be done before the halfshafts are installed).

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

In the meantime I decided to install the new brake and fuel lines. It took quite a bit longer than I planned though. Granted the lines were pre-bent but there were so many bends it was sometimes difficult to visualize exactly how the line was supposed to go. Plus, a little 'tweaking' was necessary to get a nice fit on most of the lines. As a side note, several of the photos I took during the disassembly process came in really handy, mostly because the photos were a lot easier to follow than the 2D schematics in my assembly manual.

Below are several pictures of the completed installation.

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

I decided to go with stainless steel for all the fuel and brake lines to eliminate any possibility of rust. The nice shiny stainless sure looks great in contrast to the black frame!

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

New brake blocks were also installed. The left rear brake block is shown below.

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

I had forgotten how many lines there were along the frame. It's no wonder it took me a full day to get all the lines installed!

Copyright - Tim Cote 2007

Well, that's it for this update. My dial indicator should be delivered early this week so the next update should include installing the brake rotors, checking the rotor runout and more assembly of the rear drive line. Stay tuned!

Stumble This Article!


Total time spent on restoration to date:

221 HOURS

JUMP TO THE NEXT UPDATE -  ROTOR RUNOUT AND BRAKE CALIPER INSTALLATION

Enter Corvette TOP 100 and Vote for this site!! The top Corvette Sites on the net rated by visitors! VettePics.com

Contact Us       Home       The Car       Before       Restoration       After       Resources

xxx,xxx